June 14, 2013, 5PM Flag Day and Pleasant Valley Schoolhouse Museum Anniversary, Pleasant Valley Schoolhouse Museum, 771 Ellington rd, South Windsor
The former District 5 schoolhouse at 771 Ellington Rd. was built 150 years ago to replace an older elementary school across the street. It is the only one in South Windsor that hasn't been demolished or converted to a home. At some points in 19th century, there were a dozen one-room schools in town.
The public is invited to the celebration, which will include a flag raising, light refreshments, and brief comments by local and state dignitaries. A new flag has been donated by former Society president Elsie Woolam in memory of the late Rob Walsh, Sr, the son of museum chair and docent Joan Walsh and Warren Walsh.
Parking will be available at the nearby St. Francis of Assisi Church lot, and transportation will be provided to the museum.
In 1882, the average student population at the school was between 29 and 37 students. By 1922, the school had been reduced to serving 18 children in four grades and varied until it was officially closed in 1952. The building was then used for local group activities and a private kindergarten. From 1978 to 1994, the historical society leased and maintained it as a museum, open to visitors and to annual field trips by local elementary school children and scouting groups. It has been listed on the State Register of Historic Places since 1991.
The Society sought and received town meeting approval to acquire the building and began a $50,000 restoration project, funded by a $20,000 private grant and various local fundraisers. A small kitchen, bath, handicapped ramp and entryway were added to the rear of the building. Separate entry doors for boys and girls, typical of the 19th century, were restored, and windows have been refurbished.
The museum is open by appointment and two weekdays during July and August. Admission is free, but donations are welcome. For more information about the Society and its programs, call 860-291-9958
(see News and Events for more information about ths schoolhouse)
There is NO PARKING at the schoolhouse for this event. Please Park at St. Francis of Assisi Church, 673 Ellington Rd. Shuttle service will be provided to/from schoolhouse.
The Wood Memorial Oral History Group is seeking stories of people's experiences in the aftermath of storm Alfred which struck our town on October 29th of last year. Stories may be e-mailed to the Wood Memorial Library at email@example.com, or paper accounts may be mailed to the South Windsor Historical Society, P.O. Box 216, South Windsor, CT 06074. Please be certain to identify yourself and your address so we may accurately describe your experience to a particular part of town
Domain Hosting provided by myhosting.com